BENOR (BElgian NORm) is a trademark owned by theNBN (Bureau for Standardisation). It indicates that the fire extinguisher is in accordance with the Belgian standard (NBN).
A manufacturer who wants a BENOR-mark must have internal and external checks carried out on a regular basis. Not all companies want to or can afford this.
Am I required to purchase a fire extinguisher with BENOR approval
Whether you need a BENOR approved appliance is difficult to determine. For private use, BENOR is not an obligation, although it does give you a great deal of extra certainty regarding the quality of the fire extinguisher.
In a professional context, your insurance company and/or fire department audit will almost always request the installation of BENOR-labelled fire extinguishers. This guarantees the quality and verifiability of the extinguishers. For this reason, department store chains that sell their own fire extinguishers often do not use their own extinguishers for their fire protection. In doubt? Then choose a fire extinguisher with the BENOR label! This way, you are 100% sure that you will pass any inspection.
Be sure to check your fire insurance!
Who is in charge of standard setting?
Apragaz is in charge of the control and certification of the extinguishers and the granting of the BENOR mark. This process involves 2 important control processes:
- Through internal control, the manufacturer ensures constant quality and promises to continue its efforts to increase the quality of all products delivered;
- An external control by a third party confirms that the quality of the products meets the standard.
Which fire extinguishers meet the standards?
At firediscounter.be, you can find both BENOR and non-BENOR approved fire extinguishers, so everyone can find something suitable for his situation.
Our portable fire extinguishers also meet the following standards:
- BENOR where applicable, issued by Apragaz
- European standards EN3 and CE
- ISO 9001:2000 standards issued by ABS (Quality Management System)
- ISO 14001:2004 standards, issued by TUV (Environmental Quality System)
- OHSAS 18001 (Occupational Health & Safety), issued by EBETAM (MIRTEC)
- Marine approval: if applicable
All relevant standards and approvals are clearly indicated on each product page.