There are about 10,000 fires every year. Not only does the heat of the fire kill victims, but especially the smoke is deadly! Especially when the fire breaks out at night. Invest in a good smoke detector, hang it in the right place and test it regularly. This way you go to sleep with peace of mind.
Some guidelines at a glance:
- Buy an optical smoke detector. An ionization smoke detector contains a radioactive source that continuously emits alpha particles. Current legislation no longer allows ionization smoke detectors to be installed in homes.
- Buy a smoke detector with the required CE label and EN14604 certificate (European Standard).
- Some smoke alarms come with a (non-replaceable) battery with a life of 5 or 10 years. They cost more, but you won't have to replace the batteries for several years.
- Be sure to buy a smoke detector equipped with a test button. That way you can test monthly to see if your smoke detector is working properly.
- All smoke detectors should be replaced after 10 years. This ensures that you always have optimally functioning sensors.